Monday, June 7, 2010

Another Daniil

Here are two inspiring links to another Daniil, a 23-year-old ballet dancer whose Russian parents both danced professionally and emigrated to Germany with their son when he was 3. Daniil Simkin is now in residence with the ABT (American Ballet Theater) in New York. I've become smitten by the guy and must make a pilgrimage to see him dance.

This first 3-minute clip captures Daniil Simkin at age 17.



This second 2.5-minute clip captures Simkin three years later, at 20.



Perhaps my Daniil will follow in this Danill's extraordinary footsteps. Or maybe his path in life will be more quiet and humble. It's so tempting to dream on his behalf, but of course my Daniil will be the captain of his own proverbial ship and course. I see my job primarily as an ambassador, one who introduces him to the world, its treasures and possibilities, and as a safety net.

Bottom line: regardless of the "ends" (his career choice, school performance, etc.), I want the "means" every single day to be propelled by joy, whimsy, curiosity, delight, and unreserved love, love, love. As my friend Marty advises, I will shepard my son, but always from one step back, allowing Daniil to take the lead and experience the joy (and pain sometimes) of making his own discoveries. Above all, I do not want to stifle my son's free spirit nor try to corral it into some shape pre-determined by me. I figure we'll dance an exquisite dance together, a mother-son pas de deux, until, eventually, my Daniil will assume the stage solo--but never really alone since he'll have throughout his life, I pray, even when I'm no longer present, a full supportive company behind and beside him.

No comments:

Post a Comment