Thursday, November 11, 2010

While Reading a Bedtime Story...

Danya sat on my lap in the little chair in the corner of my bedroom, his new preferred place to hear a bedtime story. We had just finished Cornelius P. Mud, Are You Ready for Bed?, a cute book about a pig who definitely is not ready for bed, when Daniil leaned back in my arms and rolled his little cheek back and forth against mine, applying pressure. At one point he stopped, nose against my cheek, and took in a big breath.

"Smell," Daniil said.
What do you smell? I asked, thinking I might have garlic or some other odd odor on my breath.
"Mama," he said.
I smell like Mama? I asked.
Yes, he said. And smiled.

****

Earlier in the evening, we built our first fire in the fireplace. I took time to lay out the groundrules, mainly that Daniil is never, ever to touch the fire, the fireplace, or the fireplace screen. Only Mama. After that, he was so concerned, he refused to sit any closer than a good six yards from the fireplace! Still, he was mesmerized. He sat stone still, gazing at the flames. I had to teach him this new word, along with the word "fire." (Although Daniil shouts out "firetruck!" each time one passes, and he visited an actual fire station last weekend, until tonight he had no comprehension of what a fire actually was.)

"The fire's dancing," Daniil said, after watching the flames intently for a good two minutes. He was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment