Saturday, August 27, 2011

Feminist Perspective


First, let me supply an updated picture of the beautiful Danya since I haven't posted here in six (!) months. Here he is peeking out of the window of a choo-choo train at the Denver zoo back in July. My, has he grown, physically, socially, linguistically, you name it. Hopefully, I have as well as a mom with exactly one year under her belt.
l
I've been thinking about how to bring a feminist perspective to my mothering. How challenging to raise a boy in this still-too-gendered world where images of tough-guy masculinity continue to proliferate. Haven't we learned better by now? I know that some have, and I need to learn from them on my boy's behalf.
l
It goes without saying that I want Danya to be socially accepted, to have friends, to "fit in," but not if this means adopting a prescribed male role that limits both him and others. I also don't want him to feel guilty/badly about being a boy, about being white, about having priviliges in this world. And I don't want to disempower him, by any means. I want him to be incredibly powerful and influential on behalf of good and creativity and fairness and all that marvelous stuff that benefits everyone. I guess I want him to be aware of inequities and injustices that are placed on both girls and boys and then to make conscious choices out of that awareness. I know all of this sounds vague here at the start. I intend to read and write more as I go along.

2 comments:

  1. First paragraph ... you are teaching your child, wisely, realistically, that human beings have limitations. This is a valuable life lesson that has small consequences at this point. What a good mamma you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last paragraph; the day will come when what you've so eloquently said here can be said directly to him. He'll understand because of the examples you'll continue to set for him, daily. No worries, you're doing a great job, just by your awareness.

    ReplyDelete