Friday, July 9, 2010

Favorite Word So Far



If you pass my red Honda on Route 6 and wonder why I'm animatedly talking while riding all alone, likely I'm repeating Russian from a "Useful Russian for Adoption" CD. I'm falling in love with this Slavic language, so foreign to my Western tongue and set of ears.

I've got the basics down, enough hopefully, along with some creative body and sign language, to make it home with my boy. I'm your Mama, you're my son, do you need to pee?, do you want to play outside?, wash your hands and face, come with me, wait, sit down please, five minutes of quiet, do you want some milk? some juice? some carrots? some candy? how much? good boy!, give me your hand, good night, I love you, my little bunny, my little bear.
l
Some of the phrases included on the CD seem comically non-essential, but I enjoy learning them nonetheless. It's hard to imagine, for instance, just when I'll have occasion to ask Daniil or our translator: "Where's the duck?" I do look forward to exclaiming: "I see a bird!" In fact, along with solnysho (little sunshine), a common Russian term of endearment for a child, my new favorite word is pteetsa (bird). It sounds similar to petite in French with sa tacked on the end. Perfect for our little aerodynamic feathery friends.

Ya veeju pteetsa! I see a bird!

1 comment:

  1. Reality Check...your slavic language adventures are inspiring and have impressed me all along. I have always heard that artists have a tough time learning languages, and have fallen back on that myth whenever learning languages has become challenging. The closest I've ever come to learning to speak a language was in my Emerson days, when , for a brief time, I was thinking in French. Nevertheless, a demanding life stateside afforded me only the briefest visit to Paris thus far where I bungled my French quite hopelessly. I stand by the assumption that an extended stay would force my several years of formal lessons to finally "kick in". This remains to be seen.
    In your case, however, learning Russian has been an act of love, an act of nesting. You remember your Russian lessons the way I remember the Latin names of plants, (knowledge collected in a state of desire for that knowledge). When love is there, desire is there. With desire, we can accomplish anything.
    Nevertheless, as a mother of five I think you need a reality check regarding some of the phrases you have acquired. In addition to, "Do you have to pee?", for example, you ought to learn, "We are almost there." and "Just hold it for a little minute". and "We are stopping at the restaurant" (or the "gas station" or the "supermarket"). In addition to "Do you want some candy?" you might also learn, "No sweets until after supper." or "Twelve is enough." or "That crap will rot your teeth (just kidding)." Along side of "Five minutes of quiet." you might consider learning, "Mommy is only going to be at the spa for three or four weeks." (again, kidding)
    I imagine your Russian speaking days will not last indefinitely, and imagine, also, that your skill is only increasing because you have this "wait" for Daniil. As soon as he is in the US your need for Russian will begin to dwindle. Children are like sponges when it comes to learning language, and he will pick up our language rapidly. It is only because you have this "wait" that your Russian speaking abilities are expanding, ~ maybe this "wait" is even creating the possibility that the Russian language will remain in Daniil's life after you get him home.

    ReplyDelete