Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Buddha is Sleeping

I kissed Daniil goodnite tonight and pointed out the postcard of the Buddha that I lean against our digital clock to block out the gleaming green light. I said, “The Buddha is sleeping and smiling." (The Buddha's eyes are shut on the statue depicted on the postcard; likely he's meditating, but it's a bit early to introduce that term to Daniil.) "The Buddha will be sleeping and smiling next to us all night long," I continued. "You are my little Buddha.”

Immediately Daniil rolled toward me to give me an enthusiastic kiss and we clonked heads for the one hundredth time. “Bumping Buddha,” I exclaimed, smiling. "Bumping Buddha," Daniil repeated and laughed, then repeated again and laughed again, delighted. He was asleep in record time: 12 minutes after turning out the light.

Fyi: I don't consider myself a Buddhist, but I do try to walk a Buddhist path of equanimity and awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment