Saturday, September 25, 2010

Popcorn and Pete


Sometimes you just gotta break out of the box, even in little ways, to remember you have agency in your own life. My and Daniil's latest itsy-bitsy revolution: cantaloupe and popcorn for dinner tonight--popcorn loaded with B vitamins from nutritional yeast and Bragg's amino acids sprinkled on top. While munching away, Daniil and I listened to Pete Seeger--beats Raffi any day. Pete accompanied himself on solo bango and sang classic children's folk tunes like Jim Crack Corn, I Know a Little Girl [in Red Pajamas], Skip to My Lou, Shoo Fly, and The Train is A-Coming.

Click here to hear Seeger sing Skip to My Lou, while learning how to play it yourself on the banjo. I really love this 5-minute clip which points us back to the simple joy of making music. And, while you're on this mini-folk roll, click here to listen to Malvina Reynolds sing "No Hole in My Head." Yes, indeed, I hope to raise a boy who has a head of his own, even a boy who chooses to play banjo rather than fiddle or guitar.
l
Photo is of Daniil taking Harvard Yard by storm last Wednesday, Fisher Price garbage truck in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment